Best and worst Star Wars movie?

This area is open for anyone read. If you have created an account then you can also create and reply to posts.
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
antispamfield: No

Best and worst Star Wars movie?

Post by 5573 »

Now we have a complete Skywalker saga and even a couple of spin-off movies. So, which is your absolute favourite, which is the worst? And why?

You don't have to agree with me or even like what I say but any "You are wrong" type answers will be removed. This is a thread for having fun and sharing our loves (and pet hates) of Star Wars.

Best: The Empire Strikes Back
Why? I was 7 when it came out, the perfect age to see it. I already loved ANH but ESB had bigger battles, more Han Solo (my fave character back then) and it expanded my love of a realistic galaxy far, far away where everything does not work perfectly every time like Star Trek (and no, I don't hate Star Trek, but SW is BETTER!). Things breakdown, the heroes are not prefect, and so on. And then they hit me with the big one, at the end of just about every big movie, the bad guys have been defeated, the good guys win and all is right with the world. Not this time! The good guys had totally had their asses handed to them by the Empire. Luke had been crushed both physically and mentally by Vader. Han was (as far as we knew) pretty much deadmeat on his way to Jabba, the Alliance was spread out in a desperate attempt just to survive. The question is not so much "Why do I love it?" as "Why doesn't everyone?"

Worst: Attack of the Clones
Why? I find it hard to pick my least favourite. I'm one of those people who loves them all but I can also find fault in many of the films. TPM: Maul dies way too easily, ROTS: Anakin flips to the dark side too easily. The description in the book is so much better! ROTJ: Leia has always known Luke was her brother? Did she know when she was kissing him in ESB? TFA: It's too much of a clone of ANH. All films with a superweapon after teh first Death Star, why do you keep building bigger and bigger weapons but leaving the same design flaws in them?
In the end though, it has to be AOTC. I feel it adds very little to the whole storyline. Anakin (Hayden Christensen) is a whiny little brat and has zero chemistry with Padme. Again the coolest new bad guy dies way too easily. It's a bit too convenient that there is a clone army ready just when it's needed. And how did Syfodias (or however it's spelled) manage to order it without anyone noticing? (Probably explained in a book somewhere). And even if he managed to sneak in an entire mega-army, where did all the transports, cruisers etc come from? Oh we just had them sitting in the storage room...

Sadly I feel that George Lucas was more driven by what he could do technically in the prequels than what he should do for the story. And it shows in teh final films. The originals were all better (and yes, I am looking through the rose-tinted glasses of youth) but, just to prove that I'm not justa grumpy old man, I LOVE TROS. It is one of my favourites of all.

In fact, let's add another challenge, rank all films, best to worst.

ESB
Rogue 1
ANH
TROS
ROTJ
Solo
TFA
TLJ
ROTS
TPM
AOTC

Please add your own faves and rankings. And feel free to add another challenge for everyone. Best piece of music, favourite character, whatever :)

We're all stuck indoors at the moment with too much time on our hands so let's have a little fun with it!

Cheers
AW
"Shut him up or shut him down!"

Troop count: One, two, three, many, lots!

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Re: Best and worst Star Wars movie?

Post by 92019 »

Wow, this will be hard.

Best: V - Empire Strikes Back
Well, much the same reason as you. Love and feel some national pride by the Hoth scenes, and love Yoda and the Dagobah scenes.
BUT for me it is a close race with Episode VI - RotJ, as this has some of my favorite scenes of all times - mainly the scene with Vader and Luke where Luke says: "I can still save you" and Vader replies "You already have". "crocodilletears

Worst: I - The Phantom Menace
Its a cliche i guess, but Jar Jar ruins this for me. Pretty much the only reason. So many great scenes. Love Duel of Fates, love Palapatine, love Darth Maul, love Qui Gon.... HATE Jar Jar - just because the humor is like Roger Rabbit - just not fitting in any "realistic" universe except a cartoon.

Full list (best to worst):
1. Empire Strikes Back
2. Return of the Jedi
3. A New Hope
4. The Rise of Skywalker
5. The Force Awakenes
6. Rogue 1
7. Attack of the Clones
8. Revenge of the Sith
9. Solo
10. The Last Jedi
11. The Phantom Menace

TLJ almost made it to the bottom, but i am afraid nothing "beats" Jar Jar.
Though I would feel weird not to mention "The New Hope"..... The Mandalorian...
And just form Season 1 its up there among the top 5 I would say. What a great show.

Three favorite characters:
1. Palapatine
2. Kylo Ren
3. Yoda

I have spoken!
Nordic Garrison 501st TK Troop Count: 1
Mandalorian Cosplay Troop Count: 4

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by 5573 »

1. Han Solo: Such a bad good guy :)
2. Boba Fett (as an adult): Love that costume
3. Darth Maul: Awesome costume, awesomer lightsabre, awesomest moves

Come on the rest of you!

92019 wrote:
12 May 2020, 10:36
Three favorite characters:
1. Palapatine
2. Kylo Ren
3. Yoda
"Shut him up or shut him down!"

Troop count: One, two, three, many, lots!

Stardust 40161
Nordic Base trooper
Nordic Base trooper

Post by Stardust 40161 »

Okey, I’ll bite.

Best: ESB and ANH
Ranked ESB as the best for years but then I recently saw the fan restored version of ANH and wow, it’s amazing!

Worst: Any of the prequels
Just not my cup of tea. I mean, not even excellent actors like Ewan McGregor, Natalie Portman or Liam Neeson could tackle those lines in a decent way...

Ranking, best on top:
ESB & ANH
Rogue One
RoTJ
TFA
TROS
TLJ
Solo
The Prequels

Favorite characters:
Jyn Erso
The Luke/Han/Leia combo
Kylo Ren

Bonus: The Child- the 1st thing to touch my cold dead heart for years...
”I find your use of the force vague and unconvincing”

Two generations of Ersos & someone in disguise
(jyn-erso) Jyn (lyra-erso) Lyra & (boushh)

501st Legion Trooper
501st Legion Trooper

Post by 4492 »

Best - Empire Strikes Back. It was the first SW film I saw, and it got me hooked. I just couldn't turn off the the TV when I saw it, it was exciting and a real adventure.

Worst - TFA. I don't like the sequels, and for me TFA is the worst since it's so unoriginal, it's mostly about cramming in as much fanservice as you can and don't care about trying to create a good plot foundation that could hold up a trilogy.

Ranking

ESB
R1
ROTJ
ROTS
Solo
AOTC
TPM
ANH
TLJ
TROS
TFA