A Twilek X wing pilot?

For all costumes from A New Hope, EMpire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi
Grizabella
Imperial citizen
Imperial citizen
antispamfield: No

A Twilek X wing pilot?

Post by Grizabella »

I been working around costume ideas for quite some times but never got down to anyone that seems to fit both my body and characters Id like. I know that male X wing pilots from the original trilogy (Yavin, Hoth and Endor) has some legroom when it comes to body sizes but my favorite spechies are the likes of Twilek and Togruta but they tend to be either not for my body size or in need of crazy headpieces like the senator Twileks.

So yesterday I started to wonder about if a male Twilek or Togruta could ever find a way into a X wing cockpit or being accepted in the rebel legion costume and where you should go about to get one if you have little to no sewing capabilities? Can you go on and comission aprovable costume pieces that requires little to no trimning by yourself?

But my main question is if a generic male Twilek or Togruta X wing pilot would have any chance to be approved and where you would go about to commision the parts?

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Re: A Twilek X wing pilot?

Post by 56456 »

Browsing the Rebel Legions member page I can find a few Twi'lek pilots so that shouldn't be a problem.
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/uzytkownicy.php?id=1
ImageImageImage

501st Legion Trooper
501st Legion Trooper

Post by 4492 »

There are a lot of alien pilots in the Rebel Legion. The one thing to think about is that the two parts (the alien and the pilot costume) both need to be good enough to pass approval on their own.

The good thing is that both x-wing pilot costumes and twilek lekku are available from vendors, so you don't need to do anything yourself. For my x-wing pilot I only made the vest and painted the helmet, but that was because it was within my abilities you can buy those as well. Togruta headpieces are not as common though.

Makers that are mentioned, I can't vouch for all of them though, are Pilot Bay, Wampawear and DartHair (but he has changed his name and I can't find what he's selling under now) and for lekku it's Twi'lek Pam.

Grizabella
Imperial citizen
Imperial citizen

Post by Grizabella »

Thats good news since I can not really sew anything on my own. Any idea of what the price range for commissioned pieces would be? I know Hera from Rebels is a Twilek pilot and I think she ends up flying Xwings at some point in season 4 - I love her as a character but I doubt I can get close enough for her on my body and gender.

I love make up characters and have done some Cats style make up but I have never tried Twi lek or Togruta make up so I have little idea on how easy or hard they are make up wise. It feels like they should be easier than a Cats style make up but I do not know how high demands you have on the make up quality?

I wish there were more feline like aliens in Star Wars than the Lothcat in rebels but I doubt they are doable as costumes and I cant get them into a pilots. Does anyone else knows about any feline characters or species?

501st Legion Trooper
501st Legion Trooper

Post by 4492 »

I just checked the prices on wampawear and a flightsuit is $125 and a flak vest is $130, then you need a chestbox and I think they are in the same price range, and boots. I would think that a very rough estimate for a complete X-wing pilot, without helmet, is probably starting around $500 or $600. If you can do any of the small accessories and hardware you can save a lot of money.

The helmet is probably around $200, but is not necessary for approval and if you are going to have lekku they won't fit inside the helmet anyway.

I really recommend checking out the main Rebel Legion pilot forum - http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/ ... .php?f=632 and the twilek and togruta forum - http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/ ... .php?f=876

Grizabella
Imperial citizen
Imperial citizen

Post by Grizabella »

Thanks for some great links and I got interested in starting with the Twi Leks part of the costume since that species has always been a favorite of mine together with the Togruta.

Are there colors that reads as more male Twilek and Togruta than female or does that not matter? I was thinking over a Green shade thats darker than Hera has since I like green skin.

501st Legion Trooper
501st Legion Trooper

Post by 4492 »

I don't know about colours and what are ok, but there are specific twilek costuming groups on facebook as well that can help you with everything about them.

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 11327 »

A male Twi'lek is a costume that I once wanted to make, but haven't because of difficulty and lack of male twi'leks in the movies and therefore lack of live-action reference material. We got to see more of a new male Twi'lek in the Mandalorian though: Qin. (Xi'An's brother who they are out to rescue from the New Republic prison transport).
The males' heads tend to be slightly different from the females: they have a bumpier forehead, a more elongated peak and their lekku are attached further down on their heads.
I've been out of the loop for a while, so i don't know if anyone actually makes and sells a male Twi'lek headpiece, but maybe one made for females would suffice if your head is not too big.

I once built an elongated skull out of styrene to fit on my big head tightly, held on with velcro across my forehead. I figured that if they are not too heavy, I could have attached individual lekku to the back of it and covered the skull with some headgear to disguise it and the straps used to hold it on.

For a pilot character, I would base the headgear on that of Hera Syndulla's from the animated Rebels series. She is wearing a soft helmet made of cloth which covers her head quite a lot, and also sometimes a hard helmet on top of it which is more like a face shield. I can find one girl in the Rebel Legion who has the hard helmet (but are there more?). I would ask her about who made it and how!
Before the Rebels series, there was the book-character Dia Passik which had been drawn with a similar soft headgear.

Hera's soft helmet is obviously inspired by WWII-era cloth helmets. A-wing and B-wing pilots in the Battle of Endor, and the Rebel Commando's on Endor wore some real-world military surplus (that are now collectors items): most notably the American "AN-H-15" but sometimes with ribbing added. The Snowspeeder pilots on Hoth wore similar soft helmets underneath their hard helmets, but most likely custom-made inspired by helmets worn by British Royal Air Force pilots in the 1940's and early 50's.
The seamlines and ribbing in Hera's cloth helmet can be seen in some closeups of her.
Last edited by 11327 on 28 May 2020, 08:11, edited 1 time in total.

Grizabella
Imperial citizen
Imperial citizen

Post by Grizabella »

Hera is definately a favorite character for me and if I where a girl and a tard bit more fit and shorter than I am it would be a tough choice between her and Ashoka Tano whom is also a favorite. But I got the feeling its easier for females to get male characters accepted than the other way around - Actually I do not think I have seen a male cos play a female star wars face character but I have seen severel females portray male dito. Hence why I thought a more generic Twi Lek pilot could be a neat idea.

But Heras flight helmet is a cool idea and I was eyeing her early seasons headpiece with the googles for my character.

There is two characters from Jedi Fallen order that I have high on my favorite list to:

First is Cals friend Prouf whom I feel heavily for but his head would be super expencive to build up to standards. I definately has the body, gender and age to pull him of with flying colors.

The second is the captain of the Mantis - Greez whom could be workable if you could get around his short height but the same problem with his headpiece there as for Prouf.

If I had a ton of money those characters would definately go as second or third costume for me. An Navi from Avatar for the real icons would also be high up on my list and I am used to the combination of unitard and face paint that it would require but I do not think I would be able to get it close enough to be accepted.

Thing is I have been working around a lot of characters and costumes in my head to try and figure out whom would both fit me, be doable on a comision bases and have a chance of being accepted in the comunity. I have an eye for feline characters and would definately love to take an Jellicle cat from Cats to the real icons guys but being a huge star wars fan I feel that would be a good starting point and the make up characters like Twileks and Togruta has always beens favs of mine.

501st Legion Trooper
501st Legion Trooper

Post by 4492 »

Actually I don't think there would be a problem to crossdress as Hera. You might have to do some work with the make up to enhance the female featuers of the face, but since she doesn't show a lot of skin it would probably be quite easy to hide some padding to make the body look more feminine. I think it's easier to go for a generic Twilek pilot, but I don't think Hera is impossible. Off the top of my head I don't know of any male costumers doing female characters, but I know that there are a bunch of male costumers who have been accepted as Padmé's handmaidens. The important thing is to be clean shaven.