A Twilek X wing pilot?

For all costumes from A New Hope, EMpire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi
Grizabella
Imperial citizen
Imperial citizen
antispamfield: No

Re: A Twilek X wing pilot?

Post by Grizabella »

Thats interesting thoughts and I do have seen a male cos play as Elsa from Frozen but he has quite a different body from mine and Hera is quite short and super well trained - Quite the opposite of me. Id love to give her a try and I do think that my body could read as quite female with the right clothes.

I never thought in those terms but it might be doable to do a generic Twi Lek pilot whom resamble Hera but has more of my body style worked into her/him.

501st Legion Trooper
501st Legion Trooper

Post by 4492 »

For membership in the Rebel Legion it is the costume that is judged, not the body size or shape.

Stardust 40161
Nordic Base trooper
Nordic Base trooper

Post by Stardust 40161 »

4492 wrote:
27 May 2020, 13:21
For membership in the Rebel Legion it is the costume that is judged, not the body size or shape.
Good point! Could definetly stress that more often. Then perhaps there would be even more people intrested in joining.
”I find your use of the force vague and unconvincing”

Two generations of Ersos & someone in disguise
(jyn-erso) Jyn (lyra-erso) Lyra & (boushh)

Grizabella
Imperial citizen
Imperial citizen

Post by Grizabella »

Thats a good point and I am not judging my body size or shape per se - I have the body I have and I am on good turf with it.

But with that said I know how high standards you guys have on getting the look of a certain costume as close to the overall look on the screen as close as possible and with that I see myself as unable to pull of a certain range of costumes as good as a more slim person would be - Not cause I am not on term with my body but cause it would be hard to get the look right in my eyes.

It is also an idea of whom I see myself as and who characters I do like from that standpoint.

Given those two factors I would have a hard time seeing myself in a Second Sister (Trilla) or Slave Leia costume even if I can do or commision them. I enjoy both from a costume perspective and would love to do Slave Leia for fun and body recognizion factors but its not how I see myself.

If I had a totaly free mind of doing characters without minding my body size I would love to go for Twileks like Hera and Ayala Secura (if that spelling is right) or Togrutas like Ashoka Tano whom has growed to be a all time favorite for me. Trouble is that I feel that neither are my body style as much as Slave Leia and Second Sister is.

Or if it is as simple as I do have some self confidence troubles when it comes to body size that block my brain of some costumes?

With that in mind - Does anyone has examples of not so slim boys and girls who had pulled of really slim and well trained characters with flying collors? Or the other way round?

Grizabella
Imperial citizen
Imperial citizen

Post by Grizabella »

I have given myself some time to think this over and I come so far to figure out that it is not a rush to go and order a lot of things you end up feeling is not whom I really like to be.

Id like to thank for all the great advice but would also like to have some more input on what kind of costumes you who has meet me at cons like Sci Fi world Stockholm and Comic Cons Stockholm think I am suitable for and could rock. For those of you that might wonder who I am I am the guy who had Jedi robes from Batu last Sci Fi game and I took pictures with Darth Maul and Shak Ti (sorry for spelling.) among others.

Shak Ti and two versions of Ashoka at cons are part of the reason to why I am so interested by Twi Lek and Togruta apart from seeing Ashoka in most of her Clone Wars and Rebels aperance and enjoyed Hera a lot in Rebels.

With that in mind - How do you who have costumes thinks when it comes to decide what to buy or make? Where you most concerned about the character, costume or what fits you side of chosing? Have you ever ruled out costumes cause you do not seem youreself in them?

501st Legion Trooper
501st Legion Trooper

Post by 4492 »

I will try to answer some of your questions, but they might not be in order.
How do you who have costumes thinks when it comes to decide what to buy or make? Where you most concerned about the character, costume or what fits you side of chosing? Have you ever ruled out costumes cause you do not seem youreself in them?
I think you will find different members who will say yes to different aspects. In my experience within the legions people are generally more into the costume first - character second category than cosplayers in general. There are definitely people who cosplay due to their love of the character though, I would say this is especially true for many Leia cosplayers. I definitely do my costumes because I love the costumes, but as a secondary I thin I would have a problem making a character that I couldn't at least find interesting in some way. This is for face characters, I can't say that I have had any specific thoughts about my more generic costumes, like my jawa, Tusken or X-wing pilot. At the same time even if I really think the Transportation Security Officer from Solo is a really cool and good-looking costume, I will never do it because it simply looks too much like a brownshirt nazi so I would not be comfortable showing myself in public in it. I hae Admiral Daala costume, who to be honest is an evil and incompetent military leader, and I definitely doesn't see myself in her. I made that costume because I wanted something comfortable to wear at cons, that's the simple answer.

When it comes to Admiral Daala it relates to your question on body size - this is what she looks like

I do not in any way have the same body shape, I'm overweight and I havent dared count my BMI becaue it would probably put me in the obese category. On this bad photo you have me to the far right from NärCon last summer

I know how to sew and I know my body, so I know what I can do to make something look good, even if I'm carrying a lot more kilos around than the actors and actresses. That being said I have stopped doing Leia from the Original Trilogy though, just because I feel that there are so many more Leias out there that do her better than I do, since they are closer in shape to the young Carrie Fisher. When I did Leia I never met any members in the legions who commented on my body size, but I was self conscious about it, it was also very obvious that the public saw me as a cosplayer and not as the character. And that is something to remember, it can really hurt when someone asks you to step out of their photo with the SW characters because they don't think you look the part. I do like the older Leia from the sequels though, since it's obvious that they made costumes that would be more flattering to the older Carrie Fisher, even if she lost a lot of weight before the films she still had more curves than when she wore the metal bikini.

Here you have me as General Leia

For making costumes I have learnt a lot from watching RuPaul's Drag Race. Drag Queens are sooooo good at changing their bodies and faces to look totally different. The secret is to work with proportions, which means that even a plus-sized person can need padding to create a feminine shape.

In the end my advice is that it is important to find something you feel comfortable in. If you are going to spend a lot of money on something it's not fun to get into costume, and then just feel self-conscious and uncomfortable. And to be honest it's easier to feel good if it's a costume that you feel is closer to what your body looks like.

I have not met you, so I don't know what would be a suitable costume for you, but I really appreciate all these questions that you are bringing up for discussion. Very often we just say "we don't judge the body shape", but even if we don't do that in order to gain membership a lot of other people around us do, and even if their behaviour is wrong I think it's important to be aware of it.

Grizabella
Imperial citizen
Imperial citizen

Post by Grizabella »

(I had wrote a long and eloberate reply to youre nice comment but it wanished before I could published it. Its not my day today.)

You raise a lot of the same questions that bothers me with costumes like Hera and Ashoka and thats why I am not really happy with choicing them despites its my favorite characters. I would probebly had better chances at Prouf, Greez, Darth Maul, Chewbacca or even Darth Vader but they are either costly and eloberate costumes or characters I do not really see myself as. I am at heart a rebel guy more than an imperial officer even thou it could be fun portraying a badass guy.

With that said youre replay has give me a lot of things to think about and you has clearified a lot of thoughts I had so well. It is also great to have those thoughts clearified from another plus size person whom has come around the same sort of questions I have been thinking of myself.

Again thanks for the answer and I hope to meet you some day.

Grizabella
Imperial citizen
Imperial citizen

Post by Grizabella »

How is the field in Scandinavia on Grand Admiral Thrawn costumes? He has some features I like and is a pretty strightforward costume to get I assume. He also has the blue skin I like and has some great moments in Rebels.

Grizabella
Imperial citizen
Imperial citizen

Post by Grizabella »

4492 wrote:
30 May 2020, 09:56

I know how to sew and I know my body, so I know what I can do to make something look good, even if I'm carrying a lot more kilos around than the actors and actresses. That being said I have stopped doing Leia from the Original Trilogy though, just because I feel that there are so many more Leias out there that do her better than I do, since they are closer in shape to the young Carrie Fisher. When I did Leia I never met any members in the legions who commented on my body size, but I was self conscious about it, it was also very obvious that the public saw me as a cosplayer and not as the character. And that is something to remember, it can really hurt when someone asks you to step out of their photo with the SW characters because they don't think you look the part. I do like the older Leia from the sequels though, since it's obvious that they made costumes that would be more flattering to the older Carrie Fisher, even if she lost a lot of weight before the films she still had more curves than when she wore the metal bikini.
Sorry for tripple post but since you know how to sew well enough to get costumes accepted by this group would there be any chance you can do a costume on a Commission basis for me when I have decided what to choice?

I would feel much easier to commission someone who knows both the standards this group require and how to work around a plus size body like mine rather than tossing money away on pure chance.

501st Legion Trooper
501st Legion Trooper

Post by 4492 »

I do get this question, but I don't do commissions. Making something for someone else would feel like too much pressure and would take the fun away from making costumes.

As for Thrawn costumes, I don't think we have any approved Thrawns, but I have seen some grand admirals around. Now as an admiral Daala I would be happy to have a Thrawn around as well.