For all costumes from Episodes VII, VIII and IX

Moderator: team-ng-command

Songelin
Nordic Base trooper
Nordic Base trooper
antispamfield: No

WIP Rey resistance costume

Post by Songelin »

So I started with My first costume after many hours of researching.... I want to start with the vest... did the pattern myself and tried them on a regular black cotton fabric to se the result. Happy with the fitting BUT Will have to do some changes on the collar and the curved back seems... the big issue i have is how to creat the shoulderpads!!! I tried different pattern and fillings BUT are not happy with how they turned out... anyone in here with usefull tips or maybe links!?

Also where i live there is NO good stores where I can find THE perfect woolfabric i need. Anyone in Stockholm or near Mälardalen who can tell me where to find a nice store?

Thank you all!!
Attachments
Not happy with those, BUT that Will not be a problem to fix
Not happy with those, BUT that Will not be a problem to fix
image.jpg (901.47 KiB) Viewed 7301 times
IMG_9267.PNG
IMG_9267.PNG (715.89 KiB) Viewed 7301 times
IMG_9184.JPG
IMG_9184.JPG (515.02 KiB) Viewed 7301 times
Your eyes can deceive you. Don’t trust them....

Costumes (rey-tfa) & (rey-tlj) & (shaak)

Troops: 26

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Re: WIP Rey resistance costume

Post by 5573 »

Have you tried Tygverket?

https://www.tygverket.se/
"Shut him up or shut him down!"

Troop count: One, two, three, many, lots!

501st Legion Trooper
501st Legion Trooper

Post by 4492 »

Hi, and what a great choice of costume, the Resistance Rey outfit is such a nice costume.

I know the pain of not having any decent fabric stores around, if you want to search online for a fabric it's called a "wool herringbone twill" or just "wool herrinbone", in Swedish it's called either "ylle spetskypert" or "fiskbensvävt ylle". For all wool fabrics it's usually good idea to check stores that cater to medievalists and historical recreation costumers.

If you haven't already seen it I would also recommend reading up on the Rebel Legion forum for the Rey costumes - http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/ ... .php?f=880

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 11327 »

5573 wrote:Have you tried Tygverket?

They usually have a good selection.
While you are in that area, there are a couple of other stores nearby that you could also check out.
From Tygverket, walk down the street to Mariatorget. Cross it until you are on the street Hornsgatan. On the other side the street is a ribbon store, in case you would need any.
A couple of blocks west on Hornsgatan from Mariatorget is Söders Tyger which smaller but pretty good. A couple of times for me, when Tygverket had not had what I was looking for, this store did.
4492 wrote: For all wool fabrics it's usually good idea to check stores that cater to medievalists and historical recreation costumers.
One such store is Sundbybergs textilcentrum.
At least five years ago, LARP:ers (sv: Lajvare) could get access to their store-room which has a larger selection of wool fabrics, but I don't know if they still do that. (Cosplay is a kind of LARP, right? ;) )
A few stops away on the tram (or bus) there is also a LARP:er store Svarta Kattens Handelshus which usually has a selection of wool and linen fabrics. (their web page does not seem to have been updated for a while, but they seem to be active on Facebook)

Songelin
Nordic Base trooper
Nordic Base trooper

Post by Songelin »

Great advise, Im planing to visite Stockholm after newyear! I Will pass by tullverket on My way! Thanks for the link!!

Songelin
Nordic Base trooper
Nordic Base trooper

Post by Songelin »

4492 wrote:Hi, and what a great choice of costume, the Resistance Rey outfit is such a nice costume.

I know the pain of not having any decent fabric stores around, if you want to search online for a fabric it's called a "wool herringbone twill" or just "wool herrinbone", in Swedish it's called either "ylle spetskypert" or "fiskbensvävt ylle". For all wool fabrics it's usually good idea to check stores that cater to medievalists and historical recreation costumers.

If you haven't already seen it I would also recommend reading up on the Rebel Legion forum for the Rey costumes - http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/ ... .php?f=880
I actually have founded fabrics that are quite acurate to the standard BUT I have not bought them yet, Im sooo afraid that it wont look as good IRL as on My screen... i have search for twill and herringbone BUT i notised that twill verry often is onecoloured compaired to herringbone that have a brighter and a darker colour.... on the RL characters description it is verry clear that IT is coating weight grey wool (ideally a large scale herringbone) that is needed. So My question is : is herringbone and twill the same IF both fabrics are made of wool!?

Also I have not found the Resistance Rey costume in RL forums.... Am I blind or just stupid?! Hmmm Will search again BUT so far all I see is a lot of JakkuRey :)

Songelin
Nordic Base trooper
Nordic Base trooper

Post by Songelin »

11327 wrote:

They usually have a good selection.
While you are in that area, there are a couple of other stores nearby that you could also check out.
From Tygverket, walk down the street to Mariatorget. Cross it until you are on the street Hornsgatan. On the other side the street is a ribbon store, in case you would need any.
A couple of blocks west on Hornsgatan from Mariatorget is Söders Tyger which smaller but pretty good. A couple of times for me, when Tygverket had not had what I was looking for, this store did.
4492 wrote: For all wool fabrics it's usually good idea to check stores that cater to medievalists and historical recreation costumers.
One such store is Sundbybergs textilcentrum.
At least five years ago, LARP:ers (sv: Lajvare) could get access to their store-room which has a larger selection of wool fabrics, but I don't know if they still do that. (Cosplay is a kind of LARP, right? ;) )
A few stops away on the tram (or bus) there is also a LARP:er store Svarta Kattens Handelshus which usually has a selection of wool and linen fabrics. (their web page does not seem to have been updated for a while, but they seem to be active on Facebook)

Woaw!! That was Really mutch needed info! Will deffinetly visite your recommendations next week!!
To sad that the webbsite isn't uppdated... Will call them anyhow before i go to the city just to be sure i wont miss THE fabric or go there for NO reason...

501st Legion Trooper
501st Legion Trooper

Post by 4492 »

[quote="SongelinSo My question is : is herringbone and twill the same IF both fabrics are made of wool!?
[/quote]

Herringbone and twill are not the same, even if herringbone can also be called herringbone twill.

This is regular twill

and this is herringbone

You can think of twill as half herringbone pattern.

I knew that I had seen Resistance Rey builds, so I went looking for them at the RL forums, and apparently they are in theJedi costume forum.

Songelin
Nordic Base trooper
Nordic Base trooper

Post by Songelin »

4492 wrote:[quote="SongelinSo My question is : is herringbone and twill the same IF both fabrics are made of wool!?
Herringbone and twill are not the same, even if herringbone can also be called herringbone twill.

This is regular twill

and this is herringbone

You can think of twill as half herringbone pattern.

Great! Now i understand!! Thanks for the link!!!

I knew that I had seen Resistance Rey builds, so I went looking for them at the RL forums, and apparently they are in theJedi costume forum.[/quote]

Songelin
Nordic Base trooper
Nordic Base trooper

Post by Songelin »

A huge thanks to all of you!! Today (in this cold and snowy Swedish winterday) i drove to stockholm! I started with Sundbybergs texstilcentrum, and realised that i
Wouldnt find any coat wool here... so i drove to Solna and to the store svarta kattens handelshus! Here I found a great heavyweight coating wool in a nice grey colour and with the right "fiskbensmönster"!! Not to expensive eather! 179kr/m ! I bought what she had left (1,6m) and hopes I wont mess this up!!!! Unfortunately the leather for the belt I was looking for in the same store was to thick, and they didnt have the tools to make IT thinner at the straps... so that was not what i was hoping to find... so i Will have to pause the work with it until I find a better leatherstore!
However I went back to Sundbyberg and now with the woolfabric I could easily find a great match for the lining (a grey cotton) Brown fabric (almost like denim BUT in cotton) for the pants and also a créme colored jerseyfabric for the top!!! I wont have time to start before monday BUT I'm SUPER excited!!!
Attachments
My heavy coated grey wool fabric!!
My heavy coated grey wool fabric!!
IMG_9404.JPG (1.12 MiB) Viewed 7149 times